Sunday, January 24, 2016

Making Shape Creatures!


We have been working on shapes at school, and I determined that our math program, Engage New York, doesn't do nearly enough to help my kids learn their shapes.  I also wanted to make learning about shapes fun and hands on.  I wanted them to find shapes in the world around them and use shapes to make things too.  I feel like we don't get the opportunity to let our kids be creative enough with our current school climate, so I was really excited to let my kids just have the opportunity to be creative!

So I decided we were going to make Shape Creatures!  

I used our Ellison die cut machine to cut out a ton of shapes on construction paper.  We have a few dies that have different sizes of squares, triangles, circles, and rectangles.  We also had some larger sized Ellison shape dies, so I cut out a bunch of those as well.  I put a ton of shapes in a basket at each table, and provided each student with a big white piece of paper for mounting their creature.  You could also use a die cut machine, such as a Silhouette or Cricut, or just cut out shapes the old fashioned way.    

Once I got all the materials prepped and ready, I just let them go to town, using as many shapes as they wanted.  I also put some scrap papers out just in case they wanted to cut out shapes for arms or legs or hair or whatever.  This is totally against my Type-A, has to be in control of everything, personality.   

But I let go. 

And they got creative!







Once they finished making their creatures, they counted how many of each shape they had used on their creation.  

Then they filled out a sheet with how many of each shape they had used to create their creatures.

 Then they decorated their creatures with some crayons to create lips and hair, if necessary.

I love how unique each one is!  

 



 

I love how easy this activity is to prepare!  Just cut out some shapes and let them go to work!  I loved watching them be creative with their creatures.

Looking for more shape activities?  I have many more activities for flat and solid shapes in this shapes pack.



2 comments:

  1. Love the ones with the curly antennae!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover