Saturday, November 23, 2013

Five for Friday



I haven't done one of these posts in a LONG time.  It feels good to be back.  :-)

1.  My parents came down to visit me last weekend and do some work on my house.  I decided it would be fun to drop a cabinet door on my foot.  It hurts.  So I've been walking around all week with this giant bruise on my foot.  Ouch.  Doesn't that look lovely?  (Yes, I had to take a picture of it.  I couldn't believe how big it got!)  After I posted this picture, a friend of mine told me that she wants to wrap me in bubble wrap.  I think I just need a giant bubble to live in.


We also ordered these awesome red stools for my birthday gift.  We originally bought some awesome yellow ones from Target, but they were too tall.  So we ordered these from overstock.com.  Love them!  They just got here last night.  Thanks, mom and dad!

2.  We have been talking about Thanksgiving this week!  We are learning about the Pilgrims and how they lived differently than we do.  We also wrote about what we are thankful for, using this adorable Interactive Notebook activity from Tweet Music.  Clearly, I didn't use it in a notebook, but you totally could.  I can't wait to get them hung up!  What a slacker I am!

Here are my sweet kiddos writing about what they are thankful for!


3.  I also did this fun activity with my students this past week.  We have been working on fact families all week.  Most of my students finally get it!  So we made these adorable fact family turkeys from my Happy Turkey Day Math Centers pack.



4.  I felt like I got nothing important accomplished this week!  I spent most of my nights this week working on report cards and prepping some turkey-themed math centers for next week!  (I mean, I guess those things are important.  But nothing I wanted to do!)  I am so excited to use my Thanksgiving centers, though!  I know my students will love them.

I also worked on report cards this week.  Our report cards went home on Friday.  I seriously almost forgot to send them!  I'm so glad one of my students said something to me- I didn't even have them in envelopes yet!  It has been such a crazy week, I just forgot!  (At least they were completed and printed and sitting on my desk!)


5.  One morning this week during our morning meeting, I had my students share something they were thankful for.  In the past, I've had students usually share that they are thankful for their parents, or their friends, or their teacher, or whatever.  This year, I had a few of them share that they were thankful for Christmas because they get presents!  One of my sweeties, who is in the process of being adopted (along with his siblings), share that he was thankful for February, because he would get to change his name.  He will be changing his last name to their last name.  How sweet. :-)

While we were sharing, a lot of them also mentioned that they were thankful for their birthdays.  These were truly some strange responses!  So when it was my turn, I shared that I was NOT thankful for August because I would be 30.  One of my students yelled out "Are you going to die?!"

I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard!

Well, that was my week!  I hope you had a great week last week.  I am excited because next week is only 2 days, and I won't be there on Monday because I have to go get a root canal.  I'm not excited about it, but I am glad that I only have 1 more day of work before 5 glorious days off! :-)  I can't wait!  I need a break!

Now I am off to go caulk, clean, and paint on this chilly Saturday!  :-/


2 comments:

  1. Hi Erica - Looks like you had a super fun week with your students. Love the math fact turkey and I'm so sorry about your foot...it looks so painful!
    hugs,
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I missed it, but I couldn't find a blank fact family turkey in the packet as pictured. If you have it, can you email it to me at morrisonc@columbiak12.com.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover