Monday, August 12, 2013

Let's Talk About Me! Teacher Week 2013!


It's Teacher Week!  I am linking up with Blog Hoppin' today for Monday's blog post, "Let's Talk About Me!"

Here are the topics for this week.  I don't know which ones I will be linking up with yet (my classroom is still a total mess!), but I'm going to try.  If you are interested, you can link up as well!  Just click on the picture below to go to BlogHoppin' and link up!



It was so hard coming up with 10 things about me, but I'm going to try!  Now you all will know how weird I am.  I hope you stick around!

1.  In this post, I played a little game called "Two Truths and a Lie."  Here are the answers.
1.  I am one of 24 grandchildren on my Dad's side of the family.  Out of the 24 of us, there are only 4 girls.- This is False, because it's the opposite of the truth!  Actually, out of the approximately 24 of us, there are only 4 boys.  Yep.  4.  My grandmother also has 6 great grandchildren, and only one of them is a boy!  There's a lot of estrogen at family gatherings!
2.  My first car was a 1997 Toyota Corolla that I nicknamed Yoda.  - True!  I named it Yoda because it was small, green, and squeaky.  
3. I live in a house that is called a "shotgun".  It was built in 1900.- True!  For those of you who don't know what a shotgun is, it's a type of house that is built where each room connects from room to room.  The doorways in the front and back of the house line up, as do the rest of the doorways in the house, so that a person theoretically could stand in the front door and shoot a shotgun through the house and out the back door!  Mine is technically a modified shotgun, as my back door does not line up with the front door.  
This is a picture of my house after it got a brand new roof in January.  You can see 3 of the 4 exterior doors (the last one is in the back off of the little porch).  It is a little plain, and needs some more curb appeal, but I'm on a limited budget here and I have to live in it, so you know where my money is going!)

If you want to learn more about shotgun houses, here is some more information.  As a bit of a history nut, I think they are fascinating.  I could talk about my house all day!

2.  My favorite subject in school was history.  I love learning about history.  That may be one of the reasons I live in a house that is 113 years old!  If I had decided to be a high school teacher instead, I would be a history teacher!  I also loved art class.  I wanted to take more art classes.

3.  Once I get a crafty idea in my head, I HAVE to run with it, no matter how crazy it is.  I get obsessed.  I can't sleep.  I draw sketches and look up stuff online to complete my crafty quest.  I love crafty stuff, so you will often find me doing things like cutting up curtains to make pillows and roman shades, painting an umbrella a very bright teal color, or dragging some half rotten cellar steps out of my garage to use as a plant stand.  No Pinterest needed here!  My newest crazy idea?  Painting a chandelier green and hanging it from my pergola (see picture!  I am in LOVE!)  I added solar lights to it so it would light up at night.  And since most of the time I have ants in my pants once I decide to do something, I tend to make lots of trips to Hobby Lobby!  I have an entire IKEA Expedit 5x5 shelf dedicated to overflowing with craft stuff.  That is dedication!  Ha!

4.  Speaking of crafty stuff, I am a bit of a "do it yourself-er".  I mentioned before that my house was 113 years old when I bought it, and it was not in great shape.  As far as the "bones" of the house, it was fine (no walls falling in or foundation problems!), but the place was a hot mess!  I am convinced that the previous owners did not own a single bar of soap.  It was ridiculous.  If you look at the 2 pictures, you can see how dirty the walls were, the fact that there were broken doors and duct tape on the walls, and the carpet was filthy and had holes in it.  And some of the things somebody did to this house back in the 80's made me want to go back in time and smack them upside the head.  Then I found beer cans inside the walls, and I knew why my house looked the way it did!  I bought the house knowing it was a fixer upper, and in almost 4 years, we have done a LOT of work to it!  Refinishing floors, laying tile, building pergolas and porches, and adding insulation are just a few of the things we've done.   I actually started a blog a while ago to write about my progress, but since grad school started, I haven't really done much to it.  But you can check it out of you are interested, and one of these days, I will write more about my house adventures!

5.  I have this unnatural love of fabric.  And for the longest time, I couldn't really sew, and I had absolutely no use for it.  But I still bought it anyway, even though I hadn't stepped anywhere near a sewing machine since I was 15!  So for Christmas, I bought myself a sewing machine (I guess my mother didn't take me seriously when I asked for one for my birthday and a few Christmases!)  And now I have a reason to own that much fabric.  :-)  Now I own more.  Much more.  I have a little Etsy shop where I sell some of the things I make.  My favorite things to make are taggie blankets for babies!  They are so fun to make because I can use lots of different fabrics I wouldn't normally use, and I get to be creative!  I have made an owl, elephant, dog, penguin, and monkey so far, and I'm working on a few more, such as a giraffe and a frog! 

6.  I have this need to "rescue" flowers.  I regularly check out the clearance plants section when I am at Lowes or Home Depot.  I can't help it- they are all just so pretty!  I usually end up bringing something home!  I want my yard to look like something out of Better Homes and Gardens someday, and that involves flowers.

7.  I love the show "The Big Bang Theory."  I watch reruns of it on TBS like I'll never see it again.  Same with the show "Friends".  I own both of these shows on DVD.  "The Big Bang Theory" is the only show that I watch that is currently still on TV.  I hate reality TV.  I wouldn't be caught dead watching any "Real Housewives" shows or "The Bachelor" or any of the other trillion reality shows on TV.  They bore me.  

8.  My favorite food is sushi.  Try telling that to first graders!  If I'm not eating sushi, I'm probably eating Mexican or Tex-Mex.  If not Mexican, it's pasta or Chinese.  I eat a lot of chicken, and I love shrimp and salmon!  I have never cooked a steak in my entire life, and I've never ordered one at a restaurant either.  I peruse Pinterest for recipes all the time, but I never have what I need when I want to make something!

9.  I have 2 sisters.  Kristen is 26, and Lauryn is 14.  She will be starting high school this week.  OMG.  Where did the time go?  
This is Lauryn on the left and Kristen on the right.  We were at Disney World waiting in line for the Small World Line.  Kristen was being silly and "eating" everybody.  We're kind of weird like that.  Her, for eating everybody.  Me, for photographing it.

This is Lauryn and I on her 14th birthday.  Not a great picture, but oh well.  

And my mom, me, Kristen, and Lauryn in Chicago.  I don't have any pictures of Kristen and I because I hate having my picture taken!  

10.  I have the sweetest dog named Molly. She is a Jack Russel Terrier/Beagle mix.  I love her so much.  We take agility classes together.  She loves it, and she's getting really good!  She's incredibly smart, which to me means incredibly rotten!  She's always getting in to something!  But she doesn't chew up my stuff, and she's adorable, so she redeems herself. :-)  She loves car rides, rawhide bones, walks, going to agility class, laying on the couch with me, sniffing everything, hunting small prey, and being outside.  She hates fireworks and thunderstorms, and being told it is time to come inside! :-)
So that's me!  I hope you learned everything you wanted to know!  I hope you will link up with Blog Hoppin too!  If you do link up, leave a comment with the link so I can learn more about YOU!

4 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! I guessed your two truths and a lie correctly!

    You are so talented...you can fix a house and sew! (Neither of which I can do.) Love the cute mix of patterns/colors in those little elephants & owls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you did, which reminds me that you need to choose one item from my shop! You were the only one who got it right! Leave me your email and your choice, and I'll email it to you. Sometime. Soon, I hope! :-)

      Thank you! Yeah, I can fix a house and sew, but I can barely walk in a straight line! I'm always covered in strange bruises. I can't play sports to save my life, and I am horrible at cooking. I guess we all have our "things", right?

      Delete
    2. Hi, I love your owls. I wish I could sew. I new to your blog and a new follower. I am looking forward to reading more.

      Sue
      The Very Busy Classroom

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed getting to know more about you. You are a multi-talented gal!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover