Saturday, May 18, 2013

I want a gumball machine

Warning:  This is a silly sort of post. :-)

I was creating something for my classroom using Ashley HughesGumball Machine clipart, and I was hit with the strangest thought: I want a gumball machine. Oh the things I could do with a gumball machine!

So I spent part of my morning shopping for gumball machines, even though I really don't need one and don't really have any money for it.  Oops.  (No, I didn't buy one!  But I wanted to!)
(My sister actually has a gumball machine that I've wanted to steal for years, especially since it collects dust!)

How much fun would it be to play games with a gumball machine?  Or to use it for treats?  I think it would be awesome!  If you had a machine designed for capsules, you could fill the capsules with words, or math problems, or even small objects for the kids to count.  


I found these on the same website I found the gumball machine above on.  The kids could use them for adding or subtracting numbers.  They could get 2 balls out of the gumball machine, then they could add them together or subtract the smaller number from the bigger number.  Or they could even add together 3 numbers!

Unfortunately, those are bouncy balls, and I can foresee them being a huge problem with students.  You could get some 1" or even 1/2" wooden balls and write or paint the numbers on them.  It would be a little more work, but it would be less... bouncy!

Doesn't that sound like fun?  Oh if I only had money!

So in the spirit of gumball machines, I've created this money freebie that I hope you can use.  I'm working on money with my students right now, so I definitely will be printing and laminating this little activity!


Your students will match the coins to the amounts on the gumball machines.  There is also a blackline version, because if you're anything like me, you don't have any color ink left!   
I hope you enjoy the freebie,and if you do, please leave feedback!


6 comments:

  1. I bought a great gumball machine at Target for $10! It isn't fantastic, but does the job! The only thing is I found it the day after Christmas with the Christmas items so it was on a huge sale. I know Christmas is still far away but definitely worth remembering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That IS worth remembering! If I can wait that long, I'll look after Christmas. If I don't steal my sister's gumball machine! :-)

      Delete
  2. I have a gumball machine that I got from a retired teacher and I haven't used it yet! I think I need to start or remember to use it next year!

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has a gumball machine. If you use it, I want to see how you used it! :-)

      Delete
  3. If you had kids use real pennies to retrieve items from the gum ball machine it would be a great way to save up extra money too :)

    Hope you get one!
    Annie

    Three Cheers for First Grade!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a silly post at all! In fact, I completely understand. Right now, I am wanting a book vending machine. A California public library just created the first one, and I am green with envy. I would say the chances of you buying a gumball machine are significantly higher than me getting a vending machine (for books, of course). Fingers crossed for you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover