Happy Friday, everybody! Apparently I had some sort of a crazy week this week, because I just signed up for a 5k. It's tomorrow evening. It's called the Glow in the Night 5k. I don't walk. Or jog. And I certainly don't run! What was I thinking?! Ok, I know what I was thinking. A friend of mine from school (as in Grad school) wanted to do it with her cute little boy, who is about 6-7 months old. She posted something on Facebook, and nobody was interested. I was supposed to babysit, but they decided to stay home, so I agreed to do it with her. My gym shoes are over 10 years old and I own nothing athletic except t-shirts. No kidding.
So yeah, if I never post again, you know I collapsed. :-)
Anyway... back to real life!
1. I hauled my dogs into the car and drove an hour and a half up to visit my mom for Mother's Day on Sunday. I bought her a present (2 snowmen candleholders made out of metal that I bought at a craft show), cut her some flowers from my yard (which I put in a cleaned out pizza sauce jar. Yeah, I'm that cheap), and made her dinner. OK, I made the part of the dinner that didn't include grilling steaks. I just paid for them. :-)
It wasn't much. I made red potatoes with cheese and bacon. Dad grilled steaks. I bought some King's Hawaiian Rolls and we ate those. And we had strawberries with yummy strawberry dip. I was going to make fruit salad, but a watermelon was $7.50 and I decided that was an absolutely obscene amount for a watermelon, and luckily my mom agreed! Yeah, no vegetables, because I hate vegetables. And my mom didn't request any, and I don't know how to cook them anyway. Everybody ate and seemed happy. And nobody complained about the potatoes, which I was surprised about. (I made sweet potatoes one year for Thanksgiving, and my dad and sister complained so much I said fine, I won't cook you anything anymore!)
I brought these 2 silly dogs. Molly knows she has to stay out of the kitchen, but we had to teach Edison. He doesn't like spray bottles, apparently, but he finally learned to stay in the living room! My little sister loved him. The cat... not so much. *My other sister is living there right now and she has a cat named Cho who hates dogs. Molly is scared to death of her!
2. I got some exciting news today. I mentioned part of it last week, but now it's official! Due to some serious screw ups at the college where I'm getting my Masters Degree, I was set to graduate in December. This didn't sit well with me. Mostly because I need the pay raise! There are 4 others in my class with the same problem, so our Professor made it possible for us to potentially finish our papers with our classes this school year, finish our papers over the summer, and graduate in August! Woot woot! So I wrote up a plan, and she approved it today! This may be the only year I'm totally thankful that we have to go to school until June 5th, because this means I get to graduate in August! Just wish me luck that I can get these small group lessons and the pre-test and post-test finished in the next 12 school days! (We have testing next week, which totally screws up my schedule, so this is actually going to be some serious work!)
I'm working with a small group on retelling, so we're using a retelling glove. I kind of threw these together, so they aren't that pretty, but I was too lazy to color the pictures and I didn't want to use colored gloves to reduce arguing!
3. We're testing next week, so we had some KPREP (our state test) events, including a little pep rally. On Monday, we had a local celebrity who came to our school. The kids were all so excited, the older students even bum rushed her when she tried to leave.
We always recognize the students who scored proficient or distinguished on the tests the previous year, but this year we recognized the teachers. This is one of the certificates I created to honor our teachers. We just filled in the teacher's name. The kids loved cheering on their teachers.
4. We went on a field trip to the Nature Center today. It was only a 2 hour field trip, but I think the kids learned a lot and had some fun too. We went on an hour long Nature hike in the woods, where we saw a few skinks and way more rolly pollys than I wish to count (especially since they all had to yell "It's a Rolly Polly" every.single.time.they.saw.one. Until I wanted to crush all the stupid bugs just so they would stop talking about them!
Funny little story from the Nature Center today:
Nature Hike Lady: (talks about boxing turtles and how they would be found down by the creek where we aren't going, blah blah blah)
Student: What are they called again?
Nature Hike Lady: Boxing Turtles
Student: Are they called that because they box with other turtles?
So funny. I didn't even think about boxing! I thought she was going to ask if they had a box or something, seriously. Too funny.
5. I was super frustrated and a little upset when I left school this evening, due to the fact that I realized that next Friday I took a personal day so I could go to a friend's wedding in Dallas, but my
selfish sister insists on driving alone (LONG story) and not only can I not afford to drive alone (it's like 13 hours!), I certainly can't afford to fly ($519- yikes!) so I can't go. It's a friend I've had since I was 9- the first friend I made since I moved to Kentucky- and I really was looking forward to going. Grrr. So I stopped at Qdoba on the way home to make myself feel better. Yum yum. And my neighbor called me to let me know that she had put my dog Molly inside because Molly insisted on standing by the gate to wait for me instead of taking shelter in her dog house or under the porch or anywhere else. How cute- my baby girl was waiting for me! And she was so excited when I got home! I love coming home to that cute little girl!
We've been working on reading short stories and writing short stories this week, and I can't wait until we get them finished. I really hope that the way I did them this year (which is way different than I have ever done them in the past!) helps the kids really come up with a good story that makes sense! I feel like I am so bad at teaching short stories (probably because it is always crammed into the end of the year!) so I hope to see some serious growth this year!
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! Please think of me tomorrow night when I'll most likely be gasping for air!