Monday, April 1, 2013

Currently April

I can't believe it's already April!  I've spent the last few minutes browsing Facebook and looking at all the April Fools jokes posted by my friends and companies such as Wholly Guacamole and Lipton.  And, as usual, I love Google's April Fools joke this year. :-)

However, my Currently is NOT an April Fools joke.  I'm terrible at pulling pranks.  My best was one year when I was a substitute teacher.  I was subbing for a class I had subbed for a few times before.  I told them they were cancelling Spring Break this year because we had so much snow that year, and we were using them for makeup days.  They bought it, until I busted out laughing.  As I said, I'm terrible at pulling pranks!  But I did find a few pranks posted by some bloggers that I might have to use next year. :-)

Anyway, on to April's Currently!


Listening- is anybody else always losing their remote to their TV?  I can never find mine.  And since I have 2, it gets worse!  I am constantly losing them in the couch cushions or knocking them off the couch or the dog lays on them.  :-(  So it's quiet in here right now.  

Loving- Yay Spring Break!  I am so excited just to sleep in every day!  Believe me, this weekend made up for like the last few weeks, cause I slept a TON.  I guess I was tired!  (And I'm obviously trying (again) to fight off some sinus crap.  I have a doctors appointment today so I hope they can tell me why I still have fluid in my ears and my last sinus infection never actually went away.)

Thinking- I have a whole house that needs cleaned BADLY.  I have a few things I'm dying to create for my classroom and TPT.  (I won't create anything that I can't use!)  I am also participating in another craft show event on April 13, and I need to make some taggies for it.  I have a friend who is having a baby shower on April 14 and I need to make her baby blanket and a butterfly taggie.  Does anybody else tend to give themselves entirely too much to do in a short timeframe?

Wanting- I have had this strange craving for banana pudding.  I have seen 2 types of recipes on the internet- the kind that use boxed pudding mix, and the type you make the pudding yourself.  I hate to cop out and used boxed mix, but I don't have a double boiler to make it myself.  Sad times.  No banana pudding for me, I guess.

Needing- I should probably get started on my to-do list!  Cleaning and getting the taggies cut out so I can get them sewn.  My goal is 2 a day, Monday-Friday.  It's pretty lofty, but I'm going to try!  I also have a few TPT/classroom ideas swimming around in my head, so I'll probably get started on those as well.  Earth Day and Derby, here I come! :-)  I also have some grad school homework for my 3 classes to work on.  :-(

Advice- I'm a fairly new blogger myself, and I haven't been creating very long.  I haven't made a ton of money doing so either.  Sometimes I get upset or discouraged when I don't have 10 blog comments or a product doesn't sell right away.  And then I remember that it takes time.  I just have to make the best products I can, for ME, and if somebody else wants them, then that's awesome.  I get giddy every time somebody purchases something on TPT or leaves me some thoughtful feedback- it's like an affirmation that somebody likes my stuff.  So I've set a modest goal for myself, and I'm working on it, but I can't let life take a back seat.  I am also in grad school, and that sucks up a lot of time, so I may not create things as fast as others, but I have to do what I can with what I have.  I am not going to be a Deanna Jump right away, and probably never, so I just have to remember to do what I can.  And this is my advice to new bloggers too.

So I just thought about how much grad school homework I have to complete this week, and now I'm feeling a little overwhelmed!  I can't wait for grad school to be over!  

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you enjoy your spring break too!

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with your advice and I know it's not easy being patient. I also try to only make things that I can use and that will benefit my students. Those always end up being my best ones.:)

    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! My favorite thing I've created so far is my Investigating Arctic Animals unit- I started creating it and using it with my students before I posted it, and I feel like it's the best thing I have. The kids loved it too. I definitely try to only create things I can use- those are the best because I've really thought about what I'm going to put in them that will benefit my students! :-) And when one sells, I get really excited!

      Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Erica

      Delete
  3. I have been on Spring Break and hate that I have to go back tomorrow. It was cold and rainy last week, so I want a Spring Break do over.

    I'm your newest follower and think that your blog is adorable! Did you design it yourself? I keep saying I need to find someone to design mine because I am no good at it.

    Enjoy your spring break!

    ✞Heather
    Swinging Through Second Grade
    hdawntn@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely hoping for good weather this week- we've had some strange weather lately here, so we'll see. I think crappy weather definitely deserves a do over!

      Yes, I did design it myself. I get lots of compliments on it, so I guess I did a good job! Thanks!

      Erica

      Delete
  4. I continuously lose the remote, my phone, my pens, and anything else that I bring into the living room with me. It ends up in the couch, on the floor, under my blanket, under the cat... ANYWHERE. I feel your pain!! I also constantly give myself so much to do in a short amount of time AND I have gotten bad with procrastination... anything that's due on April 15th gets done April 14th... I'm only hurting myself! I hope that you get everything done you need to :) I also really like your advice... best not to compare yourself to others, but instead, set goals that you want to attain and once you do, be the happiest person in the world!!

    Sara
    Miss V's Busy Bees
    ventrellasara@gmail.com

    PS. I'm in grad school, too!! Our semester ended yesterday, so I had 4 or 5 things to complete by last night and well... I kicked my booty into gear so I wouldn't have to do it all last night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like what I'm doing isn't really procrastination, it's prioritizing! That's probably just a fancy word for procrastinating! I try to get the things that need done first, first, and then do the rest, but sometimes there is so much that needs done that it's hard to decide what needs to be done!

      Our semester ends sometime in April. I honestly have no idea when it ends- isn't that terrible? I have 2 things due on Wednesday, so I'll try to work on them tonight and tomorrow. And then I have more to do this weekend as well. Ugh. So over this!

      Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Erica

      Delete
  5. GREAT ADVICE!!! I love blogging and want a bigger audience. All in time, right? I want to get started in the TpT world, but just know what I could provide that isn't already out there.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way- it's hard coming up with things that aren't already out there. I think we just have to come up with our own twist or stamp of ourselves on whatever we come up with. And be patient- we can't give up because we didn't make a million dollars in the first day! :-)

      I'm sure we'll both figure out our niche soon! :-)

      Erica

      Delete
  6. Erica, Every time I look at your blog it just makes me smile! You have such a knack!!!

    And - banana pudding sounds FAB!

    Our remote control chaos was eliminated when we bought a universal one that my techie husband set up. It's amaaaazing cuz you can do EVERYthing with it! I think it was $100 at Best Buy but that was four years ago so I think it would be less now. ;)

    Smiles - Lisa
    Growing Firsties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love it too!

      I have had a craving for banana pudding for like a week now! I really need to find some somewhere!

      I think I need one of those remotes! Or I could just set up the TV with the remote for my cable box, and that would eliminate my problems. Or at least half of them. But I don't know how! :-(

      Delete
  7. My dog's favorite thing to chew on is the remote-so we've gone through quite a few! :) Your advice is really good advice-you do have to have patience. Have a great break-hope you get more done from your list than I did on ours!

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thankful my dog doesn't chew on remotes, or much of anything, really!

      I am sure I won't get much of anything done on my break, but I'll continue to have high hopes! :-)

      Delete
  8. Now I need to convince my hubby to go get me some Banana Pudding. We have a place where I live that has the best.

    As for your advice, it's true for all of us. Some days it is SOOOO hard to remember to just be yourself and not compare and compete. My hubby is good at keeping me grounded and reminding me a dollar today is a dollar I didn't have yesterday :) (I don't tell him actually it makes up for one of the dollars I spent on clip art).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I don't have a hubby to answer to, so I have to keep myself grounded. But I try to remind myself of the same thing- every dollar I made today is one I didn't have before. Then I have to convince myself not to go spend it on clip art! :-)

      I wish I knew of some place with banana pudding! I have been craving it for like a week! :-(

      Delete
  9. Hey! I love your advice! I am new to blogging and TPT and it is sooooo hard to see all these amazing teachers with so many followers and not compare yourself. I always wonder... well what am I doing wrong that makes people not like my blog or shop as much? I just have to remember that it isn't that they don't like it... maybe it is just that they haven't seen it yet :) and that it just takes time.

    Your blog is so adorable! It is so fun to find other teacher bloggers from the same state, I'm your newest follower! :) I just started my Master's last semester and it is already killing me!... I have found that I clean my house the best when I have an assignment for my class due soon... I will do anything to avoid doing homework! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh... I'm in my master's program as well and can COMPLETELY relate! It's overwhelming and soooo exhausting. I've learned a lot, which I obviously great! But I'll be thrilled when I finish my program this summer. BEST of luck to you! :) The Learning Lab

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great advice! Our culture is so used to instant gratification that it makes it harder to be patient. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate...make sure to enjoy your week off! I had spring break mid March and am wishing to have it back. It goes by so fast!

    Lindsay
    For the Love of First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Erica!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and letting me know that the jockey instruction link wasn't working. It's all fixed now.
    I totally understand about the banana pudding! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover