Saturday, March 16, 2013

Linking Up with Doodle Bugs

Well, this week hasn't been as good as the last few have been.  But I'm still going to do Five for Friday anyway because I have a few things to share anyway.  (Except now it's Saturday because I was too tired to finish last night and went to bed!)   I don't have a lot of pictures, though.  Sorry. :-/


1.  On Monday, my coworker/former K teammate went in to labor, and she gave birth to a baby girl on Monday night at about 8:20!  This is great news, of course, but my coworker was a little bit sick, and she passed the infection on to the baby.  :-(  So the poor baby was born with a fever, and she's currently in the NICU.  She also aspirated when she was born, which may be another reason she's in the NICU.  I feel bad for my coworker/former K teammate- she's had a lot of family stuff going on lately, and I just feel bad for her!  I sure hope Baby J is released soon!

2.  My students took their informational books and we turned them into digital presentations for our Writing Celebration!  Our school has a set of 20 iPads, so we used iMovie to turn them into digital presentations.  This wasn't the ideal solution, but it was what was available, so it's what we used!  They turned out pretty good, especially since I had to rush to get them finished in time for the Writing Celebration (since I decided to do this at the very last minute!)  These worked out better because the parents could actually see and hear their child's writing instead of when they read their little writing pieces that are so tiny the parents can't see them!  The kids were so shy about showing their videos, though.  Too cute.  (I was going to share a link to one of their videos, but I realized that you can't see it unless our STC gives permission, and I'm not sure how to go about doing that.  Sorry.)

3.  We made s'mores today and did some writing.  We also did some graphing with Lucky Charms.  The kids were so excited about all the fun food-related stuff we did today!  So was I!  I didn't get any pictures of the kids doing their graphs, because I was helping them make their S'mores.  Oh well.

We made S'mores using this S'more maker that my mom had.  She bought it at a garage sale for $2, so I borrowed it.  I got the idea from Faith from First Grade Fantabulous.  Of course, it just uses a light bulb to warm up the marshmallows, so I had to nuke them in the microwave to warm them up a bit!  We didn't have all day to make S'mores, and I only had 1 S'more maker!


The S'more maker comes with sticks, but apparently I left them at my mom's house, so we improvised and used straws instead.  It worked just fine!  I was pretty glad- I watched them pretty closely to make sure they didn't melt or anything.  And they didn't, because this thing doesn't get too hot. 

I love how their faces are lit up by the light of the S'more maker.  It looks like they're standing by a real campfire!


4.  I finally posted some products in my Etsy shop after the miserable failure of a craft show last weekend.  There are a few things available in my shop.  I'm considering setting up a table at another event in April, but I'm not sure yet.  Please feel free to check out my shop and share the word!


5.  I woke up Tuesday night with this horrible chest pain.  It was so miserable, I took 2 ibuprofen and put a heat pad on it, and it didn't help at all.  So I took 2 more ibuprofen and heated the heating pad back up, and finally fell asleep like an hour and a half later.  :-/  Felt a little blah on Wednesday.  So Thursday, I woke up feeling crappy and I felt like I had a bit of a fever.  But I had a parent meeting that had been rescheduled twice, so I decided I better go to school and go to that meeting.  Of course, the parent decided not to show up (for the meeting SHE requested!), so we rescheduled for today.  Still a no show, and I drug myself to work.  Ugh.  I was supposed to go to Lexington on Saturday to see my friend's new baby, but I can't go if I'm sick!  So I went to the Take Care Clinic on Thursday night to try and figure out why I was feeling all crappy, and it turns out I have bronchitis and a sinus infection.  She gave me an antibiotic, some Nasonex, and an inhaler to try to get rid of the sickness.  I really wish this crap would go away soon!  I guess I don't get to go see the baby tomorrow, because it wouldn't be cool to go see a week old baby being sick. :-(  

I am a little frustrated that the parent didn't show up (again!) and I could have taken a sick day and laid at home on my couch and rested like I SHOULD have. :-(  I also discovered at work today that the antibiotic the NP gave me makes me sick to my stomach.  Thank goodness for our school secretary, Susie!  I left my classroom to run to the bathroom just in case, and I left and didn't feel like I would make it back to my own classroom, so I went across the hall to the office and plopped down in a chair.  Then I asked her if she had any crackers.  She didn't, but she had gluten free pretzels, and gave me a handful.  Then I mentioned that I should go buy a Sprite or something, and she gave me a Sierra Mist she had as well.  Thank goodness!  The pretzels were bland enough that I could eat them and they didn't make me sick.   I felt immensely better after that!  But why is it that, when I am sick, it's ALWAYS sinus related somehow? :-(

I'll leave you with this.  My sock monkey friend Max came to visit yesterday dressed in his St. Patty's Day best!  I love dressing him up!  The picture on the left is from this year, and the picture on the right is from last year.  I forgot I had all that stuff- I guess I'll have to dig it back up and dress him in it next year.  Or Monday. :-)

  


6 comments:

  1. Being sick is the worst! S'more making looks like so fun! My kiddos would of loved that!!:)I'm your newest follower!

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, being sick is the worst, especially when it keeps you from doing things you're excited about!

      The S'more making was fun, and the kids were so excited! :-) It was worth the mess!

      Thanks for stopping by, and following me!

      Delete
  2. Aww, sorry that you are sick! That is the worst! Hope you feel better soon so you can go see the baby!

    Love the s'more making I will have to remember that when we do our camping unit!

    Hope you are resting and feel better soon!

    Sarah
    Clearly Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! She told me today they would be in town in April, so I am not as disappointed as I was. I would hate to get the baby sick!

      Yeah, the S'more making is fun! They sell the S'more makers on Amazon.

      If by resting, you mean making clip art on my laptop on the couch, then yes, I am. :-)

      Delete
  3. I love your use of iPads to publish the kiddos' writing!
    Tamra
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was pretty excited about it too! If I can figure out how, I'll definitely share a video!

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover