(Have I mentioned how much I love that you can add photos that you already posted to your blog? I LOVE not having to find a photo on my computer to upload!)
(One of my students working on her "When I am 100 portrait!)
1. We celebrated our 100th day of school on Wednesday! It was so much fun! I have lots of fun pictures and activities to share with you! I can't wait!
One of my sweeties brought in this awesome 100th day project! This is my favorite one this year!
2. I didn't have to go to class this week! :-) Both of my grad school classes are considered "hybrid" courses, which means they are online some of the time and on campus some of the time. One is 30% in class and 70% online, and the other is 60%/40%. I usually prefer to go to class, but it was definitely nice to have a break this week! We had to post online on the forums, but I got to do that at home while I nodded off in front of my laptop.
3. Our school had our Math and Science Night last night, and we had about 75 families attend! Considering that our school usually has low turnout at after school events, we were pretty excited! (Of course, we fed them, so they came) The first grade did a "sink or float" activity and a prediction jar. One of the 3rd grade students made the closest prediction to how many jelly beans were in the jar, so he won a jar full of flavored (think Jelly Belly) jelly beans! Plus, our Environmental Ed. coordinator accidentally misplaced the nutrition facts that told how many jelly beans were in the jar, so I called the store where she bought them and asked if there was any way we could find that information. The guy who called me back left me a voicemail that had every. single. nutrition fact on the package! Then he called me back to make sure I got his message! He was so nice, too. He said what a great job I was doing and what a hard worker I was for calling and getting the information. So sweet! It's nice to feel appreciated!
4. I finally got my computers from Donors Choose set up in my classroom! One of my awesome coworkers came to my house to pick up the bench I made! The kids are so excited to use the new computers, and so am I! They couldn't believe that I made it myself! They were even more surprised when I told them I had made the other one in our classroom as well. Of course, one of my OTHER coworkers told me there was no way I could have made it myself, and that my dad had to have helped me! I know he was teasing me because he knows he can make me mad, and it worked!
5. Thursday was an absolutely beautiful day here in KY! It was about 70 degrees! I took my students outside in the afternoon, and we all had a blast! Of course, today it was like 40 degrees. There is a saying we have here: Welcome to Kentucky. If you don't like the weather, stick around. It will change! (Sometimes hourly! Last week, we had a snow day and a tornado in like a 2 day span!)
BONUS 6. My awesome students and I have been working really hard on our informational writing unit. We have spent the last few weeks doing research and writing about cold weather animals. Today, we did the "culminating" activity that we've been working towards for the past few weeks. OMG. My first graders are AMAZING. Their work is AMAZING. I was so surprised and happy and proud and every other synonym you can think of! I even went and got our writing coach to show her, and she was impressed! She walked around the room and talked with the kids about their projects and saw them work. The kids were everywhere, and the room looked so chaotic, but they were all so hard at work! I LOVE IT when things work out like this! I will definitely post about our work VERY soon because I just have to brag on my babies! I even told them I was going to brag on them! :-) :-) :-)
So that's all the wonderful things that have happened this week! It would have been perfect if my throat wasn't still bothering me! :-( Yes, it still is! I tried to take all your wonderful advice and get some ice cream, so I went to McDonalds the yesterday in search of a Shamrock shake. I saw where one McDonalds had them, and I was so excited. THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY. I was so disappointed that I had to make myself feel better with a Peppermint Hot Chocolate instead! Guess I'll have to make another trip to McDonalds to get that Shamrock shake tomorrow to make my throat feel better!