Tuesday, January 1, 2013

What's ahead in 2013 linky

I've decided to participate in the "What's Ahead in 2013?" linky party.  I realize I'm probably breaking like 2,000 rules of blogging since I'm posting again today, but oh well, I never cared about rules anyway!

Just like the Currently linky each month, if you decide to participate, you need to follow the rule of 3!


I feel like I should probably explain a few of these:

Professional Read:  This could have gone under personal read, because I'm so excited to read it!  It's been sitting in my house for like 4 months now.  I borrowed it from my district's Professional Library, so I really need to get on it!  One of these days, I will finish it!

Classroom Must-Have:  I got 4 iPods for my listening center from Donors Choose this fall, and I love them!  The kids do too.  I can load whatever books I want onto each iPod, and the kids can take them anywhere in the room.  They love it.  I keep the books for each iPod in a bag which is color coded for each iPod (I have 4 different colors).  The kids are even independently getting the iPods and books, turning them off, and cleaning off the earphones before they put them back.  Since the kids using them aren't all from my class, this is a REALLY big deal!

School-Wide Event:  Our school doesn't do a lot of school wide events.  We do a pep rally each year for testing that is kind of fun.  It's really not my favorite event, but we have so little to choose from I just picked one.

Technology focus:  I currently have a Donors Choose project for 6 Chromebooks that is $230 or so from being funded!  I would love to get these Chromebooks for my classroom because I can think of so many ways I can use them during math and literacy time, or even during writing.  Last year, I took my kids to the computer lab to type up their informational writing pieces, and they thought it was cool.  It might be better to do in the classroom if I had enough computers for a small group.

Again, you can find the details about the linky here. :-)

I am also excited because I gave myself a little blog makeover.  It's not great, but I wanted something I could do quickly.  I'll work on it some more later, because I want to make some changes to my blog header and it involves KPM Doodles clip art.  But I managed to figure out Blogger templates and such on my own, so I'm pretty proud of myself.  I used to change my Live Journal layout a lot back in the day, but Blogger is quite different, so there was a bit of a learning curve!  One thing I would like to learn how to do is keep the background image stable while the posts and stuff in the middle move.  I was able to do that with my LJ, but I used HTML to make changes to my layout, and as far as I know, you can't do that with Blogger. :-/  Please let me know if you know any differently!


7 comments:

  1. Hi Erica!

    I found your blog through Michelle's linky party! Don't you just love Donors Choose?! About half of my class materials have come from there- it's amazing! I love the idea of having Ipods in the classroom. That might be my next project! I am your newest follower :)

    Erin
    The Open Door Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Donors Choose! I have already received a rug and the iPods, and I'm very close to getting the Chromebooks! It's so wonderful to get these awesome things for my students, because I can't afford them on my own! The iPods are awesome. I also got a bunch of books on CD and I put the CDs on my iTunes, then just sync them to the iPod. I can take books off and on as I wish. It's great!

      Thanks for following me! I'm following you as well!

      Delete
  2. I think your blog design is adorable! You must be quite talented to figure this all out yourself! I think you can change the HTML code, but I don't remember how I did it! Something through layout or template.

    I have been lucky with donorschoose also. I was able to add to my classroom library. What exactly are chromebooks? They sound interesting! I am fortunate enough to have a class set of netbooks in my classroom. I just have to find better ways to use them!

    My Journey to 5th Grade

    Your newest follower,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know how to change the HTML code on Blogger either. Maybe someday I'll figure it out.

      Chromebooks are Google's new laptop. They have several apps you can get for them, and they also have Chrome as a web browser. I want to see what kind of apps are available, but I would love to use them to have my kids get on Successmaker at school too. I definitely would have to find some good ways to use them, since the computers at school are garbage and I never use them the way I should! How lucky that you have a class set of netbooks!

      Delete
  3. Hi Erica!

    I found your blog through Michelle's linky party. I haven't been brave enough or rather focused enough to put information on Donor's Choose, but what an awesome opportunity. Like Julie, we have a class set of net books in our classroom. My next technology goal is to get a class set of iPads. Our district is moving in that direction, and if I'm lucky, I will be able to pilot.

    Wishing you the best this year!
    Carla
    Surviving Sixth Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a long time to put something up, but I am so glad I did! I've received a new rug, 4 iPods and books to go with them, and I'm very close to receiving the Chromebooks. It's awesome! So easy. I wish I had a class set of netbooks, or even better, iPads! We have a set for the school but they are difficult to get ahold of! We did use the QR code scanner to look for word wall words one day, and the kids loved it! Hope you can get a class set of iPads.

      Delete
  4. IPods are a must have for any classroom! I got 2 IPOD Touches from Donorschoose earlier this school year. The possibilities are ENDLESS! I love them and my kids love them more!

    Glad to find another first grade blogger!

    Stop by and say hello!

    The Frizz in First Grade

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover