Sunday, December 9, 2012

Holidays Around the World and How to Decorate a Christmas Tree


We began our Holidays Around the World unit this week.  Finally!  I used 2 awesome freebies to get started, because I didn't have time to make my own.  Stupid grad school.  My students each made their own suitcase to hold their stuff, and a passport that we stamp each time we visit a new country.  So far, we've done one.  I, apparently, am a slacker.  Or just had less time than I thought.  I let the kids actually take time to color their suitcases, since we never have time to color!  I assembled the passports and the kids filled out the inside.

We are also working on informational writing.  On Friday, we wrote an informational piece together about how to decorate a Christmas tree.  The kids were so excited!

Here is our decorated Christmas tree.  I forgot to take a picture of our informational writing though.  Oops.

I love my Gingerbread ornaments!  I made them myself last year at Christmas.  They are all book characters.  Can you see the Gingerbread Girl, a Gingerbread Pirate, and the Gingerbread Baby?

I was concerned because I've always done the tree decorating myself, but this year, I let the kids help.  I have glass silver balls since I've had them since college (the tree is from college too!), and didn't even think about it.  I was worried that one of the kids would break one.  Well, guess who broke one?  ME.  Ha ha ha.  I guess that's a good way to show them that they are fragile!


I have a lot planned this week!  We are still working on Holidays Around the World and working on Gingerbread stories.  Our Polar Express Day is Friday.  On Friday morning, we go to see the Nutcracker ballet.  How cool is that?  Our school has a grant so we get to take our kids to go see different plays and performances, or have different people come to our school.  It's really awesome.  I just wish I had some great Nutcracker activities to do with them to get them ready!  I don't even have a book!  

I sure hope I get to make it to school tomorrow.  I have had a fever since last night, and a somewhat queasy stomach.  My back is killing me.  But I haven't thrown up or anything, which surprises me since there is a nasty stomach virus going around.  I'm not really sure what the problem is, but I'm tired of feeling blah and cold!  

Hope everybody has a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover